Acrobat ants are small, dark-colored ants that are about 1/4 inch long. They are named for their habit of hanging upside down from ceilings and other surfaces. Acrobat ants are social insects, and they live in colonies that can contain thousands of their little but destructive companions.
Why Are Acrobat Ants Also Called “Saint Valentine Ants” and “Cocktail Ants”?
Acrobat ants are also known by the names “Saint Valentine ants” and “cocktail ants.” The name “Saint Valentine ants” is thought to come from the fact that they are often seen around Valentine’s Day when they are attracted to the sweet treats that people leave out. The name “cocktail ants” comes from the fact that they are often found in homes and businesses where food and drinks are served.
Possible Health Risks
Acrobat ants do not pose a serious health risk to humans. However, their stings can be painful, and they can sometimes carry bacteria that can cause infections. If you are stung by an acrobat ant, it is important to clean the area with soap and water and to seek medical attention if you experience any allergic reactions.
Types of Damage They Can Do to a Home
Acrobat ants do not typically cause widespread, extensive structural damage to homes. However, they can be a nuisance, as they may crawl on food and countertops, and they may contaminate food. Acrobat ants can also damage furniture and other belongings by chewing on them. Here are some of the types of damage that acrobat ants can do to a house:
- Contamination of food: Acrobat ants can contaminate food by crawling on it and leaving behind their droppings. This can lead to food poisoning, especially in people with allergies to insect stings.
- Chewing damage: Acrobat ants can chew on furniture, electrical wiring, and other belongings. This can cause damage to the items and may also lead to electrical fires.
- Nesting damage: Acrobat ants may build nests in walls, ceilings, and other areas of your home. This can cause damage to the structure of your home and may also attract other pests.
If you have acrobat ants in your home, it is important to take steps to get rid of them. You can do this by sealing up cracks and crevices around your home, storing food in airtight containers, and calling a professional pest control company.
How to Detect Acrobat Ants in a Household
There are a few signs that you may have acrobat ants in your home. These signs include such things as seeing ants crawling on your walls, ceilings, or furniture. Finding trails of ants leading from food sources to other areas of your home is also a sign. And, finding small, dark-colored ants in your food or drinks is another clue.
Ways to Prevent Acrobat Ants from Entering a Home
There are a few things you can do to prevent acrobat ants from entering your home. These include steps like keeping your home clean and free of food and water sources. Sealing up any cracks or crevices around your home. Installing door sweeps and weatherstripping on all exterior doors. Storing food in airtight containers. And, also keeping pet food and water dishes clean and covered.
How a Professional Pest Control Company Can Eliminate Acrobat Ants
If you have an acrobat ant infestation, it is best to call a professional pest control company. A professional pest control company will have the experience and knowledge to get rid of acrobat ants quickly and effectively. The pest control company will likely use a combination of methods to get rid of the acrobat ants, including:
- Baiting: This involves using a bait that is attractive to acrobat ants. The ants will eat the bait, and then carry it back to the colony, where it will kill the queen and other worker ants.
- Spraying: This involves applying a liquid pesticide to the areas where the acrobat ants are active. The pesticide will kill the ants on contact, and it will also kill any ants that come into contact with it.
- Dusting: This involves applying a powder insecticide to the areas where the acrobat ants are active. The insecticide will kill the ants on contact, and it will also kill any ants that come into contact with it.
Once those acrobat ants have been eliminated, the pest control company will recommend ways to prevent them from coming back. These recommendations may include sealing up cracks and crevices around your home, keeping your yard clean, and storing food in airtight containers.
Wrapping it All Up
Acrobat ants are a common pest that can be a nuisance, but they do not pose a serious health risk. If you have acrobat ants in your home, there are a few things you can do to prevent them from entering your home, and you can also call a professional pest control company to get rid of them.