Is there anything quite as annoying as mosquitoes when you’re trying to enjoy some fresh air? Whether outside or inside, these pesky insects love to swarm around us, making it almost impossible to enjoy ourselves. As much as we would all like to imagine a world without mosquitoes, the best we can do is get rid of mosquitoes around our Jacksonville homes.
What Is A Mosquito?
Mosquitoes are tiny, flying insects that bite and feed on the blood of humans and other animals. They find viable hosts through scent, heat, and exhaled carbon dioxide. Most mosquitoes are active at dusk and dawn, but certain species are active during the day. There are many different kinds of mosquitoes, but the most common ones in Florida are the gallinipper mosquito and the Asian tiger mosquito.
The Dangerous Diseases Mosquitoes Are Capable Of Spreading
Although tiny in size, mosquitoes are one of the most dangerous creatures in the world. This title is due to the long list of diseases they carry and transmit to people and other wildlife. There may be different kinds of mosquitoes, but they are all equally dangerous, resulting in an estimated total of one million deaths around the world annually.
When a mosquito feeds on blood, it also swallows any parasites or viruses living in that blood. When the mosquito bites the next person or animal, they transfer the viruses or parasites through their saliva. While the mosquito itself is not affected by these mosquito-borne diseases, they can cause terrible ailments in humans. Around 390 million people are infected every year with dengue alone.
Other common mosquito-borne diseases are malaria, Zika, West Nile virus, yellow fever, and chikungunya. A world without mosquitoes would eliminate so many of these serious illnesses. Unfortunately, that is not realistic.
Where Do-It-Yourself Mosquito Control Can Fall Short
Sometimes people can be so desperate to get rid of mosquitoes immediately that they are willing to try anything, no matter how illogical. Home remedies to get rid of mosquitoes tend to fall flat. This causes the infestation to last longer when, if they had just hired professionals to begin with, the mosquitoes would be gone already.
Contrary to popular opinion, most of these DIY remedies are ineffective, and here’s why:
- While outdoor store-bought misting systems and foggers will temporarily reduce the number of mosquitoes on your property, as soon as the spray dissipates, they come back.
- Some people swear that spraying garlic will do the trick. These people end up being covered in bug bites and smelling like an Italian restaurant.
- A bug zapper lets you hear every time a bug dies, giving a false sense of security. While they effectively kill thousands of insects, only a small number of them are mosquitoes, and they won’t affect an entire mosquito population, just a small portion of it.
- Have you been to a backyard party where there are more citronella candles than people? While these pests tend to stay away from candle smoke in general, the citronella scent has little to no proven effect in getting rid of mosquitoes.
In the world of DIY, home remedies to get rid of mosquitoes are either ineffective or just put a temporary fix on the problem. The only true way to get rid of these insects is with professional pest control.
Why Professional Mosquito Control Is A Great Idea For Your Property
Getting rid of mosquitoes in Jacksonville is easy with Trad’s Pest Control. Each mosquito treatment begins with a free estimate and a thorough inspection. We have two options for you to choose from:
- Eco-Friendly Treatment With In2Care: If you prefer a more eco-friendly and natural approach, we can use this non-toxic botanical spray year-round. This is ideal if you have pets or are trying to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Backpack Misting Treatment: This service is offered as either an annual program with six total treatments, scheduled every other month or as a 60-day treatment program.
Call your local mosquito experts at Trad’s Pest Control today so we can start protecting your property and keep mosquitoes out of your house all year!