Mosquitoes are a huge problem in Jacksonville this year. In fact, they seem to be worse than ever before! These pesky pests can cause all sorts of problems, from annoying itchy bites to much more serious diseases. It is important to take steps to prevent mosquitoes from invading your home and making your life miserable trad’s Pest Control will cover why the mosquitoes are so bad this year, some little-known problems they cause, how to prevent them, and how to get rid of them for good with pest control in Jacksonville.
Why Are The Mosquitoes So Bad This Year?
The mosquitoes in Jacksonville are bad this year for a few reasons. First, the heavy rains we’ve had have created more standing water, which is where mosquitoes lay their eggs. Second, the warmer than usual temperatures have caused the mosquito population to explode. Finally, Jacksonville is home to a large number of salt marshes, which provide the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. Jacksonville is a great place to live, but unfortunately, the mosquito problem is getting out of control. If you’re not careful, these pests can make your life miserable.
Three Problems Mosquitoes Cause That You Didn’t Know About
You may have heard health advisories about mosquitoes; they can transmit diseases like Zika virus, West Nile virus, and Eastern equine encephalitis to humans. These viruses can cause fever, headaches, body aches, and even death.
Here are some other problems they cause that you may not be aware of:
- Mosquitoes can also transmit heartworm to dogs and cats. Heartworm is a serious, potentially fatal disease that affects the heart and lungs of pets.
- Mosquitoes are attracted to CO₂, so they often bite people who are exercising outdoors. This can lead to dehydration and other health problems.
- Mosquitoes can cause agricultural problems by damaging crops and spreading disease to livestock.
As you can see, mosquitoes are more than just a nuisance; they can cause serious problems for you, your family, and your pets. That’s why it’s important to take steps to prevent them.
Mosquito Prevention Simplified
The best way to repel mosquitoes is to prevent them from entering your home or yard in the first place.
Here are some proactive ways to repel mosquitoes:
- Keep your yard clean and free of standing water sources, which mosquitoes are attracted to. This includes emptying birdbaths, wading pools, and rain barrels regularly.
- Install or repair screens on doors and windows. This will help keep mosquitoes out of your home.
- Be aware of mosquito activity. Mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk, so be extra careful during these times.
- Use mosquito netting when camping or spending time outdoors.
- Plant mosquito-repelling plants. Some of the best plants to deter mosquitoes include citronella, marigolds, and lavender, which all emit scents mosquitoes hate.
- Use mosquito repellent containing DEET, picaridin, or oil of lemon eucalyptus when outdoors.
If you follow these tips, you can greatly reduce your chances of being bitten by a mosquito. However, if you do find yourself with a mosquito problem, Trad’s Pest Control can help.
Why It Is Best To Call The Mosquito Control Professionals
When it comes to the relentless mosquitoes in Jacksonville, do-it-yourself prevention methods will only take you so far. The best way to get rid of mosquitoes on your property for good is to call the experts at Trad’s Pest Control.
Trad’s Pest Control has been providing effective mosquito control in Jacksonville for more than 50 years. Our team of experienced and certified professionals will work with you to create a custom mosquito control plan for your home or business. Contact us today to learn more about our mosquito control services or to schedule a free estimate. Let us help you take back your yard this mosquito season.