Many of us take great pride in our yards and gardens, spending many hours curating them and planting beautiful shrubs and flowers. We also tend to decorate them with statues, signs, and birdbaths. Unfortunately, mosquitoes can ruin a productive day beautifying our yard or garden. Furthermore, our choice in lawn and garden decor can further contribute to our mosquito problem, making professional pest control in Jacksonville a necessity for many homeowners.
Do Birdbaths Attract Mosquitoes?
It isn’t necessarily the statue itself that attracts these terrible pests, but the fact that the water within it is so still. Below are the reasons why mosquitoes love birdbaths, and why you probably have a lot of these insects around if you have a birdbath in your yard:
- Still water: To successfully reproduce, mosquitoes need to lay their eggs in still water. This will allow the eggs to hatch, and their larvae will have a higher chance of surviving into adulthood. The still water within the birdbath is the perfect place for mosquitoes to lay their eggs.
- Microcosms: Within the still water of your birdbath is a miniature ecosystem with the sustaining life and nutrients that mosquitoes need to breed.
- Warm water: With your birdbath being out in the open, the water within the basin will heat up, making it an even better environment for mosquitoes to successfully reproduce. The high temperatures here are another reason why professional pest control in Jacksonville is essential, as the heat and humidity are ideal for many pests.
One of the best ways to keep mosquitoes away is to eliminate standing pools of water. At Trad’s Pest Control, we can help you keep your birdbath and still cut down on the mosquitoes.
Three Things You Can Do To Keep Mosquitoes Out Of Birdbaths
If you are looking to keep mosquitoes away from your birdbath, consider trying these three things:
- Change the water frequently: If you are bent on keeping your birdbath, one of the best ways to keep mosquitoes away from it will be to frequently change the water, therefore disrupting the hatch of mosquito eggs.
- Add an aerator or agitator: Another way to keep mosquitoes away is to add something to the birdbath that regularly agitates or aerates the water, which will break up mosquito egg clutches without you needing to change the water so frequently.
- Eliminate standing water around your yard: Be sure to remember the rest of your yard as well. Locate any possible pools of still water and eliminate those as well.
A professional technician from Trad’s Pest Control can help you implement customized prevention strategies that are proven to repel mosquitoes.
What Is The Best Way To Kill Mosquitoes In My Yard?
A quick online search will pull up dozens of home remedies for mosquitoes. While they might seem like a good idea at the time, these DIY methods can actually attract mosquitoes rather than repel them. Furthermore, they may also be dangerous to other wildlife in your area, including the birds you want to enjoy your birdbath. Instead of wasting time and money with said home remedies for mosquitoes, give the experts at Trad’s Pest Control a call today.
Trad’s Pest Control: Effective Mosquito Control
Since 1971, we have been helping Florida residents repel the immense mosquito populations from our yards, allowing us to enjoy our time outside, as well as keep our beloved birdbaths. Our highly trained technicians utilize state-of-the-art professional mosquito repellent treatments that are proven to safely and effectively reduce the mosquito population in your yard. If you cannot enjoy your yard or garden because of the mosquitoes, don’t wait — give us a call today and get started on our effective home pest control and commercial pest control services.