Living in Jacksonville can often mean having to deal with black widow spiders, and given that they are one of the most dangerous spiders in North America, it is crucial that you learn to identify and control them to keep you and your family safe.
In this article, you will learn all about identifying the different types of widow spiders, how to prevent them from invading your home, and the best way to get rid of black widow spiders, with advice from the professionals at Trad’s Pest Control in Jacksonville.
How To Identify Black Widow Spiders
While there are different types of widow spiders, the ones known as black widow spiders have characteristics that make them fairly easy to recognize.
- They have a bright red hourglass under their abdomen.
- They are black and shiny.
- The female black widow has a body size of about 1/2 inch, with the male roughly half that size.
Identifying these spiders can mean the difference between life and death for some, as the black widow spider is classified as a dangerous spider due to the potential harm caused by their bite. Most people will naturally want to keep spiders out of their house whether they are dangerous or not, but it is especially important to do so with these.
Just How Dangerous Is A Black Widow Spider Bite?
Not everyone will be harmed by a black widow spider bite. That being said, for some people like children and the elderly, a single bite can cause significant issues, including:
- Severe abdominal pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased blood pressure
For these reasons, if you happen to be bitten by a black widow spider, you must seek medical help right away just in case you are especially sensitive to its venom. The best course of action is, of course, to keep black widow spiders out of your house in the first place. The following tips from Trad’s Pest Control in Jacksonville cover how to get rid of spiders naturally, as well as more effective methods better left to the professionals.
Four Naturally Effective Black Widow Spider Prevention Tips
It is possible to prevent having black widow spiders in your home in the first place and to get rid of spiders naturally. Here are four of the best ways to get rid of spiders that are both natural and effective.
- Keeping your home clean and dust-free will help keep it spider-free by removing their shelter. Like many spiders, their web is key to their survival.
- Feeding birds and keeping a healthy bird population around your home can be helpful since they like to eat spiders which will naturally control the population.
- Remove potential hiding places for spiders, such as clutter in attics, wood piles in the backyard, and compost piles.
- Deal with any other pest infestation, as spiders often enter your home because it is a source of food for them. Spiders will feed on insects in your home, so by removing other pests, you’ll make your home less appealing to spiders.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Dangerous Spiders On Your Property
Sometimes, it can be tricky to get rid of spiders naturally. In those cases, you will want to reach out to professionals like the pest control experts at Trad’s Pest Control in Jacksonville. If you’ve removed webs, vacuumed dutifully, removed clutter and leftovers, eliminated insects and other pests, and you still can’t keep dangerous spiders out of your house, professional pest control is the answer. For more information about the pest control solutions that are best for your situation as well as safety information, the experts at Trad’s Pest Control are here to help.