Ghost ants are a hard-to-see species that can create havoc around your home, especially if infestations are left to grow out of control. For assistance dealing with this pest, you can review the expert information in our article and reach out to Jacksonville pest control for help getting rid of ghost ants on your Jacksonville property.
Why Are Ghost Ants Attracted To My House?
This small, pale ant species may seem like it has appeared from nowhere, but chances are that your home has several easily accessible factors bringing them inside. Food left out, easy access to food storage areas with plenty of sugary foods or cereals, and cracks around your property let this pest inside. Yard or interior clutter to hide in are all major attractors for ghost ants just looking to survive and thrive. Reducing these factors is key to deterring infestations, and our technicians at Trad’s Pest Control can help you inspect your property and narrow down major activity areas that need treatment.
Will A Ghost Ant Bite Me Or My Pet?
Ghost ants don’t have a stinger so that they won’t sting you or your pets, and they are rarely known to bite. However, ghost ants can become a significant nuisance around your home as they nest inside and grow in numbers. They also emit a mildly unpleasant coconut-like odor when killed, something that you don’t want filling up your home.
Are Ghost Ants Harmful To My Home?
Despite not biting or stinging, ghost ants in your home can be harmful because they tend to invade hard-to-reach areas, create their nests around the interior of your property, and scavenge through food storage areas. Over time, this can lead to significant contamination of food and surfaces as the ghost ants track bacteria through your home, which may result in illnesses.
Additionally, a large colony of ghost ants in your home can create destruction or damage to the areas they settle in, such as the walls and electrical boxes. Eliminating numerous ghost ants may fill your home with an unpleasant odor that is hard to clear out.
How Can I Get Rid Of All The Ghost Ants In My Kitchen?
If you want to get rid of ghost ants in your kitchen or throughout the other areas of your home, you should follow some of these prevention tips:
- Seal cracks around the windows and doors of your home, focusing on areas that lead into your kitchen or food storage areas.
- Use window and door screens to keep ghost ants out and keep exterior entrances closed to stop this pest from sneaking in.
- Ensure all trash is sealed tightly and disposed of promptly and don’t leave out dirty dishes or food and drink spills around your kitchen; the aroma attracts ghost ants.
- Store all leftover food properly and consider using airtight plastic containers in pantry areas to prevent infiltration by ghost ants.
- Declutter pantry areas and cabinets around your kitchen to reduce potential ghost ant hiding spots.
You should contact Trad’s Pest Control if you are still struggling with an active infestation of ghost ants despite your best efforts to keep them out. The professional pest control we provide is essential to protecting your property and ensuring the removal of all traces of ghost ants.